We are currently accepting applications for a part-time circulation assistant. We are looking for someone with a flexible schedule and availability for some scheduled evening and weekend hours. Job description is below. Fill out the PDF and email to Katie at firstname.lastname@example.org or stop in and fill out a paper application at the library. A cover letter is appreciated but not required.
Applications will be accepted through March 15th.
Thank you for your interest!
Maquoketa Public Library
Job Description: Circulation Assistant
May 2011, revised March 2012, July 2018
The Circulation Assistant provides customer service to patrons at both the adult and children's public service desks. In addition to primary responsibility for circulation desk duties, the Library Assistant is expected to provide reference help for patrons. Some collection maintenance, record-keeping, and technical services tasks are included in the job duties. Includes day, night, and weekend hours.
· Answer patron requests at the adult and children's public service desks
· Provide reference assistance to patrons using electronic and print resources
· Provide technical and computer assistance to patrons including Microsoft Office, email, other online resources, and self-serve printer
· Instruct patrons on how to use the library's catalog and online resources
· Use the library's online system to check materials in and out
· Keep daily statistics on paper
· Locate and re-shelve material including shifting materials at the request of the director
· Make interlibrary loan requests
· Manage reserved items
· Uphold and explain library policies and procedures
· Schedule meetings and room reservations in the library's online calendars
· Maintain patron information database, including signing up new patrons
· Periodically take part in educational opportunities to build library skills
· Provide excellent customer service and maintain patron confidentiality
· Other duties as assigned by Library Director
· Attending regular staff meetings encouraged but optional
Physical Requirements - Work requires occasional sitting, walking, twisting, and bending of waist and neck, squatting, and kneeling to retrieve and shelve books. Constant standing and repetitive use of hands; frequent simple and power grasping, assist in the movement of book carts weighing up to 200 pounds; lifting of boxes of books weighing 10 pounds and occasionally up to 50 pounds for a maximum distance of 3 feet. Hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate office equipment such as computers, printers, scanners, etc.
Education: Minimum of a high school diploma. Previous library experience and/or library science courses or other college courses preferred. Applicants must have experience using the Internet, email programs, Microsoft Word and Excel. Previous customer service experience is required. Qualified candidates will demonstrate effective written and verbal communication, be flexible, friendly, and capable of working both independently and as part of a team. Candidates are also required to understand the principles of confidentiality of patron information and library records.
For State Library of Iowa Jobs Listings Visit: http://www.statelibraryofiowa.org/ld/i-j/joblist
Thank you for your interest in our library and our community.
Maquoketa Public Library is an equal opportunity employer.